Thursday, July 16, 2009

Wednesday: Black Raspberry Ice Cream

I had a long day at work yesterday and by the time I got home, was in no mood to prepare anything. Luckily, I had planned ahead and there was a vanilla custard ice cream base in the fridge. My one indulgence buy at the greenmarket on Saturday (ok, other than the chocolate chip coconut scone I snagged at Our Daily Bread) was a $6 pint of organic black raspberries from Norwich Meadows. Placed strategically by the "check out," they were gorgeous (and apparently, a super fruit too), so of course I succumbed to the impulse buy. David Lebovitz has a recipe for Raspberry Swirl Ice Cream in The Perfect Scoop, where macerated berries are mixed with a vanilla ice cream (versus a puree of berries incorporated into the base directly). Since a pint is not a lot of berries, I thought this method would be the best way to stretch what I had. In fact, I attempted to stretch the fruit further by adding a few blueberries and strawberries I had lingering in the fridge. The end result was creamy and icy, a sorbet meets ice cream, and black raspberry flavor really shined through. If I had to do it again, I would strain the fruit mixture to get rid of the seeds. But yesterday, seeds were the last thing on my mind, and a bowl of ice cream for dinner was just the comfort food I needed.
Triple Berry Ice Cream
Inspired by the The Perfect Scoop
Ingredients 1/2 C. Milk (I used 1%)
12 C. White sugar
Pinch of salt
5 Egg yolks 2 C. Heavy cream ½ t. Vanilla extract
1 Pint berries
1 T. Vodka
1 T. White sugar (optional)

Method

Whisk together milk, salt, sugar in a small pot and warm through.

In the meantime, beat egg yolks in a small bowl; add a small amount of the warmed dairy mixture, whisking gently.

Add the egg mixture to the pot and heat until custard thickens.

Strain mixture into medium size bowl (strainer will catch any scrambled egg bits) and add cream and vanilla; chill completely.

About 30 minutes before you're ready to turn on your ice cream maker, combine berries, vodka and sugar (if using) in a small bowl.

Toss with fork or bliz with an immersion blender until combined; strain seeds if desired.

Add vanilla custard to your ice cream maker and freeze according to the manufacture’s directions.
Swirl finished ice cream with berry mixture.

No comments: