Sunday, July 12, 2009

Market Week (Or a Plan for My Farmers Market Haul)

After I transplanted the tomato plants I bought upstate, I started worrying about their future -- they were so small, was that normal? What kind of life would they have on my fire escape? Would they ever bear fruit?!
Needless to say, I spent a lot of time Googling for tips. And that's when I found the blog eat make read.
The more I read, the more I realized that eat make read was my kind of blog (and not just because some of the pictures used an Orla Kiely for Target tea towel as a backdrop!).
So when I saw the author, Kelly, was encouraging the food blogosphere to commit to a solid week of cooking based on seasonal farmers market finds, I knew I had to join in.

So I dropped $40 at the Union Square Greenmarket, loading up on staples like red onions (cipollini this time) and shallots and radishes, but also walked away with some prizes, including fava beans, round zucchini and black raspberries.

My plan is to use the produce in combination with what's in my cupboard and freezer, as well as the small order I got from Trader Joes this morning. Yes, I am cheating slightly.

Partially because of availability (no red peppers spotted yet), partially because of cost (while the $5 pint of Ronnybrook cream is likely far superior to the $1.99 half pint carton I purchased, a half pint is all I need) and partially because I just love TJ's stuff! But I am committed to featuring the "bounty of summer" upfront in each dish.

Right now, I have a corn gratin bubbling away in the oven for Sunday night supper. How will it turn out? Will I truly find ways to use all the produce? Stay tuned for the next installment!

P.S. Had a "foodie celeb" sighting at the greenmarket on Saturday. Food Network personality and chef Alexandra Guarnaschelli was buying a flat of cherry tomatoes from Stokes Farm, the place I get my tomatoes and persian cucumbers.

No comments: